Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Sihanoukville

The bus drops you off in the middle of Sihanoukville where there are
tons on moto taxi drivers waiting for you. I hopped on one right away
who took me to Serendipity Beach for $1. I wanted to stay at Monkey
Republic Bungalows but they were full except for $3 dorm beds but I
was tired and wanted my own room. The driver then took me to GST
guesthouse #1 (there are 3) where I got an $8 fan room and he got a
commission. The GST bus I too to Sihanoukville pulled up a few minutes
after I got there so I wonder if you could just stay on the bus and
get dropped off there. The GST isn't on the beach but it is really
close. Closer than Monkey Republic. The room was ok. They had free
wifi in the restaurant and cable tv with HBO. Late at night in the
restaurant area there were TONS of mosquitos though. Walking along the
beach north of the boat pier there are a few beach front places and
the vibe is much more "chill island" than "mainland touristy". The
cheapest place there I found was $15 with an ocean view probably going
for $25. Would be totally worth it if you were two people. I ate
dinner on the beach mostly and the beach restaurants all had $3
seafood BBQ that was pretty good. There are also women walking around
the beach selling grilled squid (mediocre) and deep fried lobster (not
lobster like we know it, looked more like a cross between a shrimp and
a crawfish, but delicious!). Leaving Sihanoukville I caught a minibus
from GST to Kampot for $5 (1.5 hours).

No comments:

Post a Comment