Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Marissa

Is a small beach town on the southern coast Getting there I took the 2;05 train from Colombo to Mattara and got off at the Walligama stop around 6:00pm. The train was 2nd class and had comfortable seats but leaving Colombo it was packed and I didn't
get a seat. It was alright though cause I prefer standing or sitting
in the open doorways of trains anyway. In Walligama there are tuk tuks
waiting that will take you to Marissa for 200 to 250Rs. I paid 200.
There are also buses, possibly for only 9Rs, but I wanted some comfort
and the buses looked absolutely packed. Its only a short 10 or 15 min
ride though.

In Marrisa I went to the Palms Villa hotel on the beach which is
listed in the Lonely Planet as costing 660Rs to 1500Rs. When I got
there they told me a room is $45usd! They were nice and tried to point
me in a cheaper direction. I walked across the street and up a little
hill to Mount Garden Guesthouse where they offered me 1000Rs and then
came down to 800. It is a family run place and everybody is friendly
and my room sorta had a view. Room had a big bed, bug net and fan.

Leaving Marissa I hopped on the local bus to Matera (30min, 20 Rs).
They drive down the main road in Marissa all the time. The Mattera bus
station is pretty big, dirty and chaotic. To get to Ella I first had
to take a bus to Wallaya (4hrs, 152Rs). To find the bus just ask
around. Then change to a bus for Ella (1 hr, 45 Rs). This bus
continues on to Bandarawella. It all went very smoothly and the
longest I waited was in Matera for 30min. The drive from Wallaya to
Ella is spectacular, try to sit on the right side of the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment