Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Amman

On the plane to Amman I met a nice woman from England who was being
picked up by her driver and offered me a ride which worked out great.
I booked the Abbasi Palace Hotel in downtown Amman (Saqf Al Sail -
Quraysh St. Tel: +962 6 4611686, qaser.abbasi@gmail.com) a dorm bed is
6JD and its a bed in a room with only 2 beds. The woman who runs the
place is very nice and she gave me a private room with a big bed,
heater, and shared bathroom with hot shower for 8JD and my room was
very quiet. All rates include breakfast which was quite filling and
they have free wifi. There is a nice common room and the staff is
extremely helpful. Its also in a good location for visiting the sites
of Amman. Recommend staying here.

I also looked at the Palace Hotel which is seemed slightly more
upmarket and had single rooms with shared bathroom for 12JD.

Jerash: did a day trip to Jerash to see the Roman ruins. Took a taxi
to the Northeast Bus station (2JD) then a minibus to Jerash (0.90JD).
Unfortunately I thought the bus ended in Jerash but it actually went
to Abdul so I rode the bus right through Jerish without realizing it
and went 30min too far. Then had to take another bus (0.50JD) back to
Jerish.

The ruins are right in the center of town and cover a pretty big area.
Admission is 8JD. I spent 2hrs exploring them and then took the last
bus back to Amman (1JD, 1hr) which left around 4:45pm. Upon returning
to the North East bus station I caught a shared taxi (white taxis) to
downtown center for 0.35JD. These taxis, also known as service taxis
are great cause they're so cheap but they only leave when full so
timing is an issue.

Going to Karak I took a taxi to the Southern bus station (2.10JD) and
caught the bus to Karak which ended up leaving around noon (1.60JD).
It was an old coach bus and took about 1:45hrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment