Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Battambang

Battambang isn't that great. The Lonely Planet (LP) makes it sound
pretty nice but it's a 3rd world city. Worth spending a night after
the boat trip but not more than that. A note on LP's dinning
suggestions: the food stalls by the river don't have menus (neither
english nor cambodian) and I only found one person who spoke a little
English, it's definitely authentic Cambodian but the no menu thing
makes it tough. LP recommends the River Balcony House as a
bar/restaurant. It is very atmospheric and is pretty nice but it is
pretty small and had a romantic feel to it, good place to go with a
girl but not really as a solo traveller. I ate at the White Rose which
was recommended by LP and it was great. They have table on a balcony
on the 2nd floor that overlook the street and my dish was big. I got
the stir fried vegetables with cashew and beef and with steamed rice
and it was delicious!

I tried to stay at the Royal Hotel but they were full so they took me
to their other hotel Asia Hotel. I got a single room for $4.50 and it
ended up being alright. I think they ripped me off though. I'm nearly
certain I paid for my 2nd night the day before but when I checked out
they said I didn't and I didn't have a receipt. I'm not positive I
paid but I'm pretty sure. Lesson learned, always ask for a receipt.

Vietnam visa can be obtained in Battambang from the vietnamese
consulate which I did. A one month single entry visa was $40, one
month multiple entry was $80. I went with the multiple and it took
24hrs to get it. Afterwards I saw a travel company that would do the
visa for $35 though. Apparently you can also get a visa in
Sihanoukville which I should have done instead of wasting a day in
Battambang.

I'm taking the bus to Pursat today (2 hours, $2.50). The company is
Capital Tours and the bus is pretty nice with AC, leather (fake) seats
and a Cambodian movie. I'm the only foreigner on the bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment