Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Kampot

The minibus dropped us off on a small side street that is lined with
about 7 backpacker guest houses. I was trying to decide between
staying in kampot or kep. Decided to stay in kampot but all the
guesthouses on the little street were full so a moto driver took me to
Ta Eng Guesthouse a block away. The owner is really friendly and the
room was decent for $5 but had a squat toilet. In the afternoon the
moto driver took me on a tour of the region for $10, although he tried
to get me to pay $15, then $12, then $11, halfway through even though
I had explicitly made sure it was $10 before leaving! That kind of
thing is really obnoxious. Besides that is was definitely worth it
though. We stopped briefly at a salt field then went to a cave that
had a temple built in 700AD, then a pepper plantation (they have
delicious pepper in Kampot) then to Kep for dinner. In Kep my driver
recommended the Kimly restaurant at the crab market which, I
discovered later, is also recommended by the Lonely Planet. They are
know for they're green pepper crab which didn't disappoint. I went
with the large portion which was $8.50! (very expensive for Cambodia)
But you only live once... The crab is split in half and cooked in a
creamy green pepper corn sauce that is out of this world. I was pretty
hungry and order stir fried vegetables as well and it was enough food
to fill me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment