Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011

Salvador

Salvador
Arriving in Salvador there is free Internet from one of the taxi companies in the departures hall but the zipper Internet isn't free. I took the aircon bus to Barra for R$3. It continues on to Praca de Se in the Pelorinho if you want to go there. Bus runs every hour I think. There is also a non-aircon one for R$2.50. I couchsurfed with a guy named Ludimar. He was really friendly and I had my own room but his house was very far from Barra and pretty far from the Pelo.

The Pelo is the historic area of Salvador and it is pretty cool with lots of colonial buildings and a rich musical scene. Going south in Bahia from Salvador the best way is to take the ferry boat to Itipairica for R$3.95 (45min) from the Sao Joaquim terminal (every hour I think). The ferry docks right at the station with buses to lots of places south.

When I came back to Salvador from Itacare I came by ferry boat. At the terminal in Salvador it is easy to catch city buses to either Praca de Se (the Pelorinho) or Barra for R$2.50. Barra isa nice neighborhood and I stayed at Alpha Hostel (Rua Eduardo Diniz Goncalves #128, tel:+55 (71) 3237-6282) for R$17. The hostel was fine but hard to find and the breakfast wasn't very good but the price was right. Che Lagarto hostel is near and it faces the ocean. It's easy to catch a bus from the beach road in Barra to the Airport (R$3, 40min).

No comments:

Post a Comment