Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Ella

Ella is a really cool little hill village. It's pretty geared towards
tourists but it's real small and has very friendly locals. When I got
off the bus a guy from Rawana Holiday Guesthouse took me to see the
place. It's up on the hill and the restaurant has really good views.
My room was in the back and had no views but I managed to talk them
down to 800Rs and they gave me a free welcome tea. Room was basic with
a fan (but it wasn't hot), 2 twin beds pushed together, bug net and
hot water (but it didn't work when I took a shower), and free wifi.
All the other places on the hill were more expensive.

Leaving Ella I took the train to Hatton (9:45am, 4hrs, 160Rs 2nd
class). There is also a first class "observation car" that is 4 times
the price and didn't look worth it at all. The train station is a 5min
walk from the center of the village. The train ride is really
spectacular through the hill country of Sti Lanka passing through
beautiful scenery covered in tea plantations. The left of the train
might get better views but it's hard to tell. Arriving in at 1:45pm
there was a bus waiting to go to Delhousie for Adams Peak (1.5hrs,
55Rs) but it didn't leave until after another train came at 3pm and
the bus was absolutely packed.

No comments:

Post a Comment