Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Danang/Hoi An

Arriving Da Nang: the train station is right in the center. To catch
the yellow bus to Hoi An walk straight out of the station, ignoring
the taxi drivers, and walk one block to the next street which is a
main street. Wait on the far side (side where traffic is heading east)
and wait. I didn't have to wait long, a bus pulled up right away but I
think they run every 30min about. It's a bright yellow, medium sized
bus and says "denang-hoi an" on it. They're hard to miss. The fair is
suppose to be 10,000vnd but overcharging of foreigners is rampant. The
first price the guy offered me was 100,000! I said 20,000, he said
50,000, I said 20,000, then he acted like he was going to leave then a
woman came over and said 30,000 and I accepted. You should be
persistent about 10,000 because I don't think they'd leave a fare and
that's the real price. Maybe if they give you a hard time about
luggage or something accept 20,000 but no more. This will discourage
trying to overcharge foreigners. The bus ride takes about an hour and
is pretty easy, drops off at the Hoi An bus station which is a
10-15min walk from the main hotel area.

Hoi An:
Stayed at a Hop Yen Hotel (694 Hai Ba Trung, tel: (0510) 386-3153) in
a decent location near the old town, maybe 5min walk. Dorm bed was
$5usd and I got a really small private room with single bed, tv, fan,
shared bathroom for $6usd for the second night. I checked a bunch of
places and I couldn't find a real hotel room for less than $10usd near
the old town.

Hoi An is a pretty cool little town with a large pedestrian only old
town with many historical buildings and a nice river front. There are
about a million tailors which will make anything you want but I think
the quality varies widely and may not always be indicated by price.
There are also tons of shoe makers. There's an ok beach and some cool
hills outside of town but other than that Hoi An doesn't have a lot
going on. But there are a lot of nice restaurants and the town is very
quaint; worth a visit for sure.

Leaving Hoi An: I booked a flight from DaNang to HaNoi on Jetstar for
620,000vnd. I was going to take the night train again but it was only
50,000 cheaper for a hard sleeper so I decided to fly. I took the
yellow bus again to to DaNang and paid 30,000 again but I sat next to
a German guy whe did manage to get the true fairly 10,000 but only
after the bus started pulling away and he continued to stand his
ground that they finally gave in. I told them I was going to the
airport and they dropped me off at the street that ran down to the
airport, about 1km away, maybe a little more. I walked it and it took
forever so I'd recommend taking a moto for 10,000vnd and don't believe
anyone who tells you that you're miles away. The airport is a dump but
they're building a new terminal which looks like it'll be real nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment