Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011

Morro de Sao Paulo

To Morro de Sao Paolo I took the ferry boat to Itipairica for R$3.95 (45min) from the Sao Joaquim terminal (every hour I think). The ferry docks right at the station with buses to Valenca (R$13.50, 2hrs) and finally the boat to Morro (R$6.70 slow boat, 90min, R$13.50 fast boat, 40min). In Valenca the ferry dock is in the center of town. I took the slow boat and they first drive you in a bus back out of town for 30min to a different dock and then you take a slow boat across. WARNING the boat stops at the village of Gamboa first before continuing to the village of Morro de Sao Paulo. I accidentally got of at Gamboa and had to wait for another boat and pay R$3 to get to Morro. At Morro there is a R$10 entry tax. There are lots of touts at the dock and I let one of them take me to Pousada Caminho de Praia on the road down to the beaches. They had a single room with a big bed for R$40 which was nice but I wanted cheaper so I got a very small room with a set of bunk beds for R$30 with private bath and breakfast included. Breakfast was excellent with a large buffet including scrambled eggs, cheese, breakfast hot dogs (popular in Brazil), bread, fresh fruit, cake, juice, coffee, etc. I checked the Che Legarto hostel which looked pretty nice but they said $22usd for a dorm bed!

Overall Morro is a very pretty place with gorgeous beaches but it's also VERY touristy and expensive. There are also hardly any backpackers around or anyone who speaks English for that matter. There was a place to surf and some board rentals but it didn't look very good.

Leaving I took the same slow boat/bus combo back to Valenca but for some reason it was R$7. There's also a R$0.62 port use tax leaving Morro. My boat left at 12:30pm. I think I just missed a boat at 11:30 but I'm not sure. Then walked about 1km or 10-15min to the main bus station. Valenca actually seems like it could be a pretty nice town with a pedestrian street but NOTHING is open on Sunday. From there I caught the 15:10 bus to Itacare (2.5hrs) for R$18 on the company Aguia Branca. The bus was really nice with a bathroom, aircon and very comfy seats. They have a website www.aguiabranca.com.br

No comments:

Post a Comment